The Detective School Module 04 on Cell Phones Technology and Search Warrants, and Search Warrants for Social Media is designed to educate personnel how to track and locate suspects using cell phone technology, legally and lawfully. You will learn how to successfully negotiate the legal issues you may be confronted with during investigations involving cell phones and surveillance. The instructor will discuss the laws regarding cell phone data and how the different cell phone companies vary with regard to what type of Order from the Court (Court Order or Search Warrant), and specific wording required before they will release the data. You will learn how to obtain the data regarding Exigent Circumstances, and the pitfalls of not understanding the legal basis for your requests.
The art and skill of successful surveillance of targets will be explored in depth. Topics will include how to prepare the logistics for surveillance, including vehicle and on foot surveillance. How to co-ordinate your team, communications, and other involved personnel will be explained using successful and less than successful case studies.
- Call Detail Records (CDR's) warrant, to obtain Subscriber/Registration/Account Information, and Call Detail Records with Cellular Site Location.
- Cellphone Download warrant, to obtain any equipment identification numbers, any and all communications data, including email, text, notes, all location data (Wi-Fi), all photographic/video/audio data and associated metadata, all internet history for the dates above, including cookies, bookmarks, web history, search terms, all Data indicative of financial records pertaining to your target, and all indicia of ownership and control for both the data and the cellular device.
- Subscriber search warrant, to obtain Subscriber/Registration/Account Information.
- Tracking (PING) search warrant, to obtain live GPS locates of a suspect's location.
- PEN REGISTER search warrant, to obtain the installation and use of a pen register/trap-and-trace device with cellular site location information.
- SOCIAL MEDIA
- Facebook, Instagram, Snap Chat, and Twitter
- Legal Update re: cell phones